Summer Reading Challenge

ROUND 2!

Monday, June 11, 2007

Week One - Large Novel - Dragging my Feet

Fellow Read-sters! Hope the pages are turning.
I'm 3/4 of the way through my first choice, Now is the Hour by Tom Spanbauer. At this point I am totally involved with the details of the life of the main character, Rigby John Klusener, as he 'comes of age.' The novel begins as he has a flower behind his ear and his thumb out hitching a ride from outside of Twin Falls, Idaho on his way to San Francisco in the late 60's. Then the reader is gently taken back to the 1950's to 1960's and given a glimpse at the events shaping this sad, beautiful young person. I know I'm getting close to the end because he is spending one of his last summers working on his dad's farm and the characterizations become more vivid and poignant. A touching, sometimes raw, and rewarding read with an expert's hand at simple repetitive motifs such as how his arms get weak when he's afraid, the pain he feels next to his heart and how he loves God most when a bit of grace is thrown at him, usually in the form of some human touch. I know I'll be very sad to say goodbye to this odd, yet familiar, family.
I'll keep you posted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home