Summer Reading Challenge

ROUND 2!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Fall after The Wall - Seven Lies - James Lasdun


An East German boy, Stefan, falls in love with a beautiful actress. He has a history of posing as a poet in order to gain acceptance. He did so to gain the approval of his mother's arty friends and does so again to gain the love of the actress. They escape to New York prior to the fall of the Berlin Wall. In 1980s New York, he trades stocks and his life falls apart and he wants to commit suicide (you will find most of this out in the first 20 pages of James Lasdun's Seven Lies, so I don't think I'm spoiling anything).

All in all, I was taken enough by the story to keep reading, even though the style of the writing held me at a frustrating distance. You can read my full thoughts here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home