Summer Reading Challenge

ROUND 2!

Sunday, August 5, 2007

I didn't lose, I was just behind when the clock ran out

According to my original challenge, I only made it 50% through the titles.

1. The elusive Pimpernel : a romance, by Baroness Orczy--finished; good read.
2. The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak--finished; good read; major sad parts, well-written; worth the pain.
3. Broken for You, by Stephanie Kallos--finished; very good read; it seems like realism but it's really a kind of fairytale.
4. The raw shark texts, by Steven Hall--finished; excellent surreal read; reminded me of Memento meets Griffin and Sabine with just a dash of House of Leaves.

Did not finish--
5. Memories of Philippine kitchens : stories and recipes from far and near, by Amy Besa and Romy Dorotan ; photographs by Neal Oshima--still looks good; could almost have counted it but I didn't read the words, just looked at the pictures; I meant to get back to it.
6. Urban shaman, by C.E. Murphy--Murphy has a series that I want to read and this is the first book. I'll be finishing it later.
7. War for the Oaks, by Emma Bull--this is a classic which I've started twice but never finished; I will be finishing it next.
8. The Verneys : a true story of love, war, and madness in seventeenth-century England , by Adrian Tinniswood--this is really interesting and well-written gossip about the Verneys in 17th Century England; I haven't finished it either, but I still intend to.

Other books I read during the time period that may or may not have contributed to not finishing the exact Challenge List:
1. The Supernaturalist by Eoin Coffer--having read the Artemis Fowl series I wanted to see something else he'd written; this was fun; having said that, Cosmo Hill has a number of similarities with Artemis.
2. Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks--Cadel Piggot is even more like Artemis, but with slightly less excuse for being evil. It was a fun read, but I felt it was too similar to Fowl's stories.
3. Three Elizabeth Peters Novels: Borrower of the Night, Camelot Caper, Street of Five Moons; these were not her Amelia Peabody novels: two Vicky Bliss and one stand alone with Jessica Tregarth, fun, but the words didn't really ring in my neocortex.
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows--it was the best of the series; finished it in 10 and a half hours, straight through (excellent plot as ever, yet as ever her words didn't zap my neocortex, either).
th- th- tha- that's all folks!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At April 17, 2008 at 7:32 PM , Blogger Yorick said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home