Summer Reading Challenge

ROUND 2!

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Week Two/Three

So, I didn't realise that we were supposed to be keeping weekly bulletins. Whoops. Please forgive me-I'll be better from now on!

So far, I've read two of my picks-Henry James' The Turn of the Screw and Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

I chose The Turn of the Screw because I wanted a little bit of horror on my list. I'm only reading classics for this challenge, and I'd read about The Turn in quite a few places-all I knew was that it involved a governess and ghosts. So, I felt that it was time to actually read it! Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy it that much, but since it was a short novella, I want to reread it before posting an actual review. I really enjoys James in novel form, but this is the second novella of his I've read, and I just don't seem to get too much out of them. I'm hoping that a second reading, and this time reading the introduction in my version of it, will allow me appreciate it a little more. I'll keep you updated!

I loved Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I wanted to read it, because I've read Charlotte's Jane Eyre and Emily's Wuthering Heights, so it seemed only fair to read one of Anne's books. I chose it over Agnes Grey since it seemed to have a more interesting plotline. :) I really like Anne's writing style: she's more realistic than her sisters, and I suspect she had more of a sense of humour as well. For a full review, check out this post on my blog. It seems that most people aren't putting actualy reviews on this community blog, but please let me know if I'm wrong. :)

Next up is Les liaisons dangerueses. It should be an interesting switch, from an American gothic book condemning alcohol and lasciviousness to a French, decadent, eighteenth century novel glorifying corruption. At least, that's what I've heard. ;)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home