Summer Reading Challenge

ROUND 2!

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Into Week 3

Well, I've finished Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone. The story was good enough, I guess I just didn't jump onto the HP bandwagon when it all began. Maybe having watched the movies spoiled it a bit for me. I can at least cross one off my SRC list.

I will now move on to read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte. Though Jane Eyre or North and South seem to be waiting in the wings (my night stand) for me.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At June 24, 2007 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Valerie said...

The books really are alot better than the movies. They have so many extra things in the book that they left out that added flavor.

 
At June 25, 2007 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Benjie said...

The fact that my surname is Potter makes it tough on me to admit this, but I'm not on the bandwagon either. I found the Philosopher's (Sorcerer's) Stone to be the most literarily viable of the first three volumes, but was disappointed in the following stories. I must admit, I was disappointed to the point of not reading farther than numbe 3 in the series. I have been told that the last two (5 & 6) were better stories, but the furor keeps me away. I like to read good reading that's good because it's good, not because it's popular. Often I find that just because it's popular doesn't make it good. Great to see some real classics calling your name.

 
At June 26, 2007 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

I agree with benjie. I read the Harry Potter books in order to keep up w/ pop culture and better relate to my students. I mildly enjoy them as they are very quick reads, but they just seem to be lacking something. In a similar genre, I found Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series much more convincing (a movie is being made of this, too). I'm eager to hear about The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, as I've never read anything by this Bronte sister.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home