Summer Reading Challenge

ROUND 2!

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Week 1

So I must admit that I have been a very busy reader and I may need to add a couple more books to my list at the rate I am pushing through them.. I suppose it helps that I have been sick for the last two days.

I finished "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" lastnight. It was a very good book. Depressing but very good. It raised a couple of questions... Can one ever really beat the "boss"? The entire book is based on McMurphy trying to one up the Head Nurse for the sake of the weaker around him. However in this battle he sacrifices his strength to the others and in turn takes there weakness upon himself.. He may have helped others but he did not succeed in beating her. I rant a little more about this book on my book blog.

So with that under my belt I started reading "Animal Farm". It's a decent book so far and I anticipate having it done by tomorrow. It's only 170 pages so it's not really a big read. It amusing to me that this book is a smack in the face at Communism (which was it's original purpose) but how much it resembles our own society in a way. I haven't finished it yet so I won't rant to much until I have read the ending. However, I am at the middle and the Pigs essentially taking everything and making it look like it is for the good of the people, reminds me of some things I saw on the news the other night.

Hope everyone is enjoying their reading as much as I am!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At June 4, 2007 at 7:18 PM , Blogger amandazen said...

Interesting thoughts on Cuckoo's Nest... how did he not succeed in beating her, did anything good come out of all the suffering?

Amanda

 
At June 5, 2007 at 4:01 PM , Blogger Valerie said...

Others did benefit from his sacrifice but he did not completely change the fact that she still undoubtedly had the upper hand. The fact that she was able to lobotomize him and take him out of the game proved that. I watched the movie the other day and it's official I love the book so much better than the movie.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home